What is it about painting and decorating that makes us put it off time and time again? There are many reasons why – it’s a chore, it’s messy, and we can get by with that tired and worn paintwork without much of a problem.
Yet, once paintwork has been done, it’s so much nicer to look at clean, fresh paint than that that has been there for years.
Why would a paint sprayer make things easier? They really do, and we’ve reviewed one model that is affordable and very effective – the Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max. It’s one of the best HVLP paint sprayers on the market for home owners (in terms of sales figures) and is popular among DIY’ers around the world.
Before we get into the details, here’s a little more about paint sprayers, how they work, and why you need one.
How a HVLP Paint Sprayer Works
What you get is the following: a hand-held spray gun with a variety of settings you can select via a control knob, a lengthy hose, a base unit that contains the electric motor and turbines, and a reservoir into which you pour the paint – the latter of which attaches to the gun itself.
This paint sprayer is powered straight out of an electrical outlet and comes with a full, detailed instruction manual.
How does a HVLP paint sprayer work? In summary, the turbines create air pressure that is sent down the hose, and the air pressure in the port pushes the paint into the path of a powerful stream of ait which in turns the paint into very fine jets of spray through what’s known as Spray Atomization.
There is more to it than that, but we don’t want to get too complex!
One of the biggest problems with brushes and rollers is the cleaning up afterward; it’s far easier with a paint sprayer such as the Wagner Control Spray Max.
You simply rinse the unit out as advised by the makers, let it dry and put it away for the next time.
Well, paint sprayers are simple to use but there is an art to it, so it is strongly recommended you practice before you take on the job you need to do.
Also, it helps if you familiarise yourself with the controls before you start, as this model comes with various features that you might want to investigate. And – the all-important one – read the instructions before you start, and make sure you have assembled the device correctly.
Right, now that you have an idea of what it’s all about, let’s have a closer look at the Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max HVLP paint sprayer, so we can give you an idea of what to look for.
About the Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max
We’ve given you a brief idea of how paint sprayers work, so why did we choose this model?
Wagner is one of the leading brands in the paint sprayer market, with a range of affordable and reliable models that are very popular with domestic users.
This particular model is perfect for beginners as it is designed to be simple to use, is compact, and is intended for home and occasional use. A bigger motor puts it a step up from the handhelds such as the Wagner 590 handheld and the HomeRight c800766 handheld sprayer which should give it a longer life over multiple uses.
To help you get an idea of its capability, we have split the review into different sections, so let’s have a look at some of the key features of the Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max that you need to be aware of.
(don't worry, button opens a new tab)
Key Features & Specifications
It can spray nearly all household paints
If you are not familiar with paint sprayers, you are likely unaware that some types suffer from a limitation as to what sort of paints they can spray.
The Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max can cope with most household paints, although some paints may need to be thinned (despite what Wagner tells you).
But this does mean that you can use this paint sprayer for outdoor jobs – fences, outhouses and more – as well as a paint sprayer for interior walls. With that said, if you’re primarily looking to paint interior walls, you might be better off reading our review of the Wagner Flexio 890.
Variable spray patterns
One of the major advantages a paint sprayer has over a brush or roller is the availability of different spray patterns. With the Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max, this is done by selecting a position for the spraying nozzle.
There are three different spray patterns you can choose from, these being:
- Broad oval spray pattern which gives you good coverage centrally
- Slim oval pattern for better direction control
- Symmetrical circular pattern for touching up and corners
The benefit of each pattern is best discovered in the test phase we advised you to carry out at the beginning, as you may find you prefer one to another or discover one particular spray pattern is better for the job at hand.
The Wagner 0518080 HVLP paint sprayer also allows you to select your own chosen level of air pressure – from 1.50psi to 2.63psi – so you can decide whether you want to lay on the paint thinly or to a thicker consistency.
This is a feature that many users have said they appreciate as it makes life a lot easier, and also helps you to avoid overspray which can lead to unsightly drips in the finish.
Here are a few of the standout features you need to know:
- Filters – one of the problems people noticed with early models of paint sprayers was that of dirt and dust getting into the paint and contaminating it, the result is a very poor finish. Not so with the Wagner Control Spray Max which, like many of this generation of paint sprayers, it has been designed with filters in place to prevent this problem. In fact, the Wagner has two air filters fitted that prevent any dust or dirt getting into the mix, so you can rest assured you get a clean spray.
- Lengthy Hose – another of the advantages of a paint sprayer is that it can be used in awkward places where a brush or roller may not be able to reach, with this sprayer you get a 20-foot long hose that means you can move a long way from the base unit with your spray gun. Also, the base unit is attached to a long mains cable, so you have movement in that area also.
- Ease of Use – it wins over its users because of its functions and ability, and also because it is specifically designed for home use and to be easy to use for DIY projects. Be aware that this is not a commercial-standard device, but it is more than adequate for use around the home and garden.
- Ease of use is aided by the simple controls – you move the nozzle to indicated positions for different spray patterns – and also by the simple to fill paint reservoir or basin, and the ‘lock and go’ mechanism. This is a design feature that allows you to change your liquids very quickly, and to start painting pretty much as soon as you have the device ready, and it really does make your life a lot easier.
- Maintenance – A machine that is intended to be easy to clean. You should rinse it thoroughly after each use and make sure it is fully free of any residue – you might want to use white spirit to clean away old paint – and wash it through with soapy water, and you will quickly be ready to start a new project. As far as maintenance is concerned, there are few moving parts so very little to go wrong, and user testimonies point towards a reliable and trusty device.
That’s a brief review of the features and functions of the Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max, so let’s have a look at some of the pros and cons of this HVLP paint sprayer.
What We Like & What We Don’t
The Control Spray Max is a very popular paint sprayer for domestic use and is great for beginners. Customer reviews are favorable, yet as with all such products, there are a few things you need to think about.
Here are some of the positives, and then we’ll touch on a few potential downsides.
- This paint sprayer is easy to use by beginners and comes with full instructions
- Variable spray patterns mean you can find your own preference
- It’s very light and compact and comfortable for use over long periods
- Can be used equally effectively with thick or thin paints
- Ease of maintenance and cleaning means a longer life
- Simple to assemble and begin painting
- No overspray thanks to air pressure selector
- Users have commented on the short power cord, which means using an extension
- It should be mentioned that this is quite a noisy machine so protection may be needed
- The reservoir is quite small so if you are painting larger areas will need several refills
(don't worry, button opens a new tab)
Who Is This Paint Sprayer Best For?
Before we come to a conclusion, it’s worth a recap as to who the Wagner 0518080 Control Spray Max is intended for.
Bearing in mind the limited capacity of the reservoir, which will be enough for a small area but will need refills for larger ones – this is a quality paint sprayer for use around the home, and also for outdoor paintwork.
It is NOT a paint sprayer for commercial use It is perfect for a DIY user who wants a sprayer for occasional usage and is far from a professional grade machine. If you’re looking for a commercial paint sprayer, there are better Wagner paint sprayers for the job.
So is it for you? Let’s have a look!
Final Thoughts – Wagner Control Spray Max Review
If you are looking for a paint sprayer that will make your life easier on all those little painting jobs that need doing around the home, then this sprayer is certainly one for your shortlist.
If you are intending to paint whole rooms, perhaps as part of a redecoration project, then this paint sprayer will also do the job, but you may find the smaller reservoir a limitation. If that’s the case, maybe check out our Wagner 890 review which uses a larger paint container.
The benefits of this model and with any paint sprayer – over a brush or roller are many; you will get a cleaner and more even finish, it will take less time, and you will find you do away with the arduous cleaning that comes with the traditional method of painting and decorating.
That said, you will still need to prepare and clean the surfaces you’re painting which does add time. To help speed this process up, we recommend investing in some high-quality paint removers.
You will need to practice in order to get the technique right so we recommend you try all the available spray patterns and air pressure options before you embark on your first proper painting project.
To sum up, for a beginner or anyone who is into DIY, the Wagner Control Spray Max is a great choice of efficient, portable and usable paint sprayer at a sensible price, and one with many satisfied users.
(don't worry, button opens a new tab)